Dear Voters of NH Senate District 10,
The response to my candidacy has been great. People throughout Senate District 10 are excited and relieved to have a person of my background running to succeed Senator Kelly. (See endorsements)
With 43 years of public finance experience, executive and leadership experience, and a Ph.D. in Political Science--Policy Studies, I am well-prepared to address the challenges faced by our state. I have the energy and stamina to vigorously advocate for the citizens and institutions of Cheshire County.
I have an optimistic outlook for our state, founded on growing our population and economy through good paying work opportunities. We should be proud of NH’s 2.6% unemployment rate, 2.3% in the greater Keene area. However, these low unemployment rates also signal a shrinking workforce availability, something that could hamper economic growth and make it difficult for businesses and organizations to replace retiring workers. Building a workforce and expanding our state’s economy will take a coordinated, well thought out set of values and directions for our state.
- My highest priority is to preserve and promote the quality of life in NH, to grow businesses, foster innovation, and retain young people in this region. Innovative people are attracted to areas where people are innovating. Our state government, in concert with business, not-for-profits, and local governments, needs to promote Cheshire County as a progressive, well educated, beautiful region to live and work.
Here my track record is deep. I helped create MonadNet, the first Internet service provider in the Monadnock region. I helped create a business and education intersection through the Regional Center for Advanced Manufacturing, RCAM; helped establish a CASA program in Keene to support abused and neglected kids in SW NH; led establishing the Greater Keene Chamber of Commerce Workforce Coordinator; and helped leverage business incentives to bring jobs into this region when I led the Monadnock Economic Development Corporation Board of Directors.
- My second priority is assuring educational opportunities at all ages: early childhood, public schools, affordable colleges, and innovative and relevant workforce training and development. I recognize the value of education, not just as a means to a more fulfilling life, but as an essential element of a democratic society.
- A third essential element for attracting and retaining workforce, families, and retirees in our region is health care access and quality. I will support Medicaid expansion as a critical means for assuring access to health care. I will support Planned Parenthood and a woman’s right to choose her desired health care and where she wishes to obtain it.
- A fourth priority is keeping our communities and citizens safe through attention to economic security; drug education, enforcement and treatment; and well trained emergency response personnel. We need to continue the work started with the leadership of Sen. Kelly through state funding for the Coordinated Access Program, CAP, which links together SW Community Services, emergency responders, healthcare and mental health providers, and recovery coaches to fight the drug use epidemic in this region.
- Fifth, I will actively advocate for safe highways and bridges for this region, particularly those that are gateways to the region. I will advocate for better broadband access and speeds needed to support the economy and workforce in this region. Broadband access is expensive and inadequate in this part of the state, and firms can move faster by relocating than by waiting for improved services.And I will also be an advocate to expand renewable energy production and conservation efforts in the state. Putting caps on alternative electricity generation is not in the long-term interest of this state.
I am engaged in this campaign to win, to move forward with initiatives to advance the Monadnock region and the State of New Hampshire. We live in a region that defines its politics more by the character of a person than by the political party they join. I look forward to representing the interests of District 10, Cheshire County, and its citizens.
Thank you for joining me in this effort. I look forward to representing YOU in the NH State Senate.
- Jay Kahn